Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Manga Artists

So I did a post about comic artists a while ago, and now I'm going to give some love to those that give us the wonderful world of manga. I find myself more fulfilled with a manga volume rather than a comic book. Maybe it's because I'm getting what Americans like to call a trade paperback instead of a one shot comic. In Japan, they like to put all their comics in magazines, so even if you get a one shot, you still can read the other comics (and get hooked on them) to satisfy an hour of enjoyment. On the flip side, most comics are jam-packed with dialogue, where as you could read four pages of a manga and get only 4 words out of it. I've noticed many mangas I read focus on subtle facial expressions and body language to tell a story. (And since I'm a visual learner, this appeals to me greatly)

Ok, on to my favorite manga artists / writers (yeah that's another diffrence, most of the manga artists also write)

My favorite and most consistent artist would have to be Yu Watase. I buy up everything I can from her. Her stories are full of fantasy, romance, and lovable characters. Her art is so beautiful, and very easy to follow. One of my favorite things she does is outlining her full bodied characters. (I've always been a fan of that technique . . . i.e. Adam Hughes) The first series I have from her (and #1 is the first Manga I've ever purchased) is Alice 19th. Since then, I've bought Imadoki, Fushigi Yugi Genbu Kiaden, and Absolute Boyfriend. I adore all of them. My husband bought me the complete Fushigi Yugi anime for Christmas one year, and we watched it together (almost every night). Her Ayashi No Ceres anime is worth the watch.
Aihara Miki is the manga artist I would give the "most improved" award to. Her Hot Gimmick manga is WAY better artistically than the other series I have from her called Tokyo Boys and Girls. I guess she took some art lessons since, but MAN is Hot Gimmick amazing. I find myself drooling over every image. She constantly amazes me page after page. Her female characters tend to get the beat down quite often, and are not to keen on sticking up for themselves, but they are still likable and I love to see them pull through.




Wann is the third artist I'll post here (not because she's my last favorie, but because I really should get to other things). She does the art and story for both "Can't Lose You" and "100% Perfect Girl". I first picked these manga titles up simply based upon the art. Ok, ok, so this isn't really a manga, it's technically called a manhwa (from Korea I believe), but whatever. . . it's good. If my mom were to read a manga....manhwa, I would recommend Wann's titles. They are chalk full of suspense and intrigue. You'll see the mob, hit men, and at least someone getting shot in her stories. Her female characters are always fashion forward. That has to be the best part for me.


Ok, got to do other things now.
-Out

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You've got me wanting to check out Manga! Looks very interesting.

John said...

you mentioned me in your b-log yay! but i think bleach is the best(cause thats the only one ive read)

UntouchableGreen said...

I was going to do Bleach, but I've only read one series by him, and I didn't have time to research him.

wiffleball_legend said...

Melinda and I thought about you the other day. We saw several "anime" (I don't know if that is a fair discription, but just what I know it as) movies and then I went to Half Price Books and saw a variety of comics (saw first addition XMen). But I didn't know what you liked for certain.

UntouchableGreen said...

Thanks fpr thinking of me and not getting me anything. Seriously, I'm verry picky with my comics. If it's not drawn by a certian artist there are a lot of X-titles I won't pick up.